This recipe from Brontë Aurell’s Brontë at Home is based on a ‘Sockerkaka’ – a sugar cake, in Swedish. You can top it with anything, from berries to nuts, and flavour it with anything from cardamom to vanilla!
325 g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
300g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
50g butter, melted
100ml whole milk
Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
50g Greek yogurt
Icing sugar, for dusting
Whipped cream, to serve
A 25-cm/9¾-in. bundt or ring pan, greased with butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
2. Dust the prepared bundt or ring pan with breadcrumbs, then tip out the excess.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until thick, light and fluffy using a balloon or hand-held electric whisk. Mix the remaining dry ingredients together and sift into the egg mixture. Fold in until incorporated.
4. Add the melted butter, milk, lemon zest and juice and yogurt and fold gently until completely combined.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Add the blueberries or bilberries – they’ll sink quite a bit during baking. Bake in the preheated oven for 30–35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan before turning out onto a serving plate. Dust with icing/confectioners’ sugar and serve with whipped cream.
Variations: Grated orange zest and fresh raspberries is a delicious combination – or vary with lime zest, too.